Gender activities have been initiated in early states of SERP. The Gender activities helps SHG women to monitor their social empowerment agenda along with financial agenda, increase their capacities in decision making at different levels, free mobility, having a say in local governance and building a safe environment. Active SHG members were identified as Social Action Committee (SAC) members and trained on various acts relating to women and children rights to support the rural community who faces domestic violence, child marriages, child abuse, child labour and other social issues. Support systems like Social Action Committees in every village and Community Managed Family Counselling Centres at every mandal, have been set to help the community.

Social Development Fund (SDF)

For addressing various gender issues, there have been efforts from the community and the Gender fund concept was formulated in the year 2009 by contribution of Rs.12/- per annum per SHG member in certain districts. The ZS and MS OB members have expressed that the concept of Gender fund need to be introduced in all the districts to take up not only social issues but also supporting for maintenance of NHCs, conducting awareness camps on health, nutrition, sanitation and education to SHG members by CBOs themselves for sustainability of the activities. The Zilla Samakhya O.B. members have requested to advise on the fund collection, management and utilization for uniformity and transparency across the State.

In the year 2018-19, after thorough consultation, SDF has been introduced among the CBOs in place of Gender fund. This invokes collection of Rs.1/- to Rs.2/- per member per month. The proposed amount of Rs.12/- to 24/- from each member per annum is contributed towards SDF. The collected SDF amount in all the SHGs is transferred to Mandal Samakhya account through concerned Village Organisations. Separate bank accounts for operating SDF amount have been opened at Mandal Samakhya and Zilla Samakhya level. Out of the total collected fund at mandal level, 20% SDF is retained at mandal level and remaining 80% SDF amount is transferred to the Zilla Samakhya. A 3 members committee called the Social Development Functional Committee is formed at MS and ZS level from EC members who shall operate the bank accounts of SDF amount. The SDF amount is utilized for Social issues, Neighbourhood centre maintenance, awareness programs, etc.,

Social Action Committee (SAC) Member:

Social Action Committee (SAC) members were identified in some of the mandals from SHGs to address social issues of the community such as eradication of dowry harassments, woman trafficking, child labour, child marriages, Micro Finance issues and counsel the disputed families through Family Counselling Centres. SAC members will be positioned in all the mandals now. 3 educated SHG members from each mandal who are preferably Single women, Widows, destitute who are able to spare time for social causes are identified as Social Action Committee (SAC) members to work under Mandal Samakhya and Zilla Samakhya for resolving social issues.

SAC Training Modules:

To train the SAC members at state/district level for improving their skills and knowledge for resolving the issues, the following 8 modules have been developed and printed. Apart from it, a hand book named "Womb to Tomb" on important acts relating to women and children have been developed to supply them to SAC members.

  1. Gender discrimination, Social construct of gender, preconception, prenatal diagnostics act

  2. Right to education act

  3. Protection of children from sexual offence act and JJ act

  4. Child marriages

  5. Offences against women as per indian penal code, violence against women, dowry prohibition act, Nirbhaya act, SC/ST atrocity act

  6. Domestic violence act, maintenance of wife and children

  7. Sexual harassment at work place act

  8. Importance of counselling, Community Managed Family Counselling Centre, Documentation, report system, Dos and Don'ts

Call centre

Call centre is established at district level to register cases. Victims/relatives of the victim can make a call to the call centre and register their grievance. The registered case is allotted to concerned mandal level SAC member for supporting the victim and resolve the issue. All the registered cases are monitored through web based monitoring system.